A few days ago we drove to Abu Dhabi to experience the Pre Season Menu of the newly opened pub and restaurant called The Sportsman’s Arm located at Zayed Sports City. If you’re in Abu Dhabi and looking for a place that serves some of the best quality pub food around, then this is definitely the place to be. With a laid back and calm vibe, The Sportsman’s Arms protrudes the classic sports-bar energy that you relax and enjoy after a hectic day or week. The food of course was extremely comforting and fuss free, satisfying all our taste buds.
For the Pre – Season Menu launch, we were lucky enough to sample some of Sportsman Arm’s best dishes. We began with Snack and Small Plates, among which we had;
– Heritage and Beetroot Salad with Goats Cheese and Aged Balsamic Vinegar. The classic combination of beetroot and goats cheese is always a win. The vinegar added a good punch and the beetroot was perfectly al dente. We definitely recommend this salad if you’re looking for something that’s not too heavy.
– Wings on Fire with Ranch Dressing. You can really never go wrong with wings, especially wings that are packed with extra heat that make you salivate. The ranch is a perfect accompaniment if you want to tone down the heat of the wings, maintaining its flavor.
– Beef Tartare with Capers, Worcestershire, Fresh Herbs and Dijon. Best Tartare we’ve had! The quality of beef used was premium and the season was done perfectly. We loved how the Dijon mustard didn’t overpower the dish but added a good amount of heat.
– Slow and Low Beef Chili with Sour Cream. We loved the warmth of this dish. Although the flavors didn’t stand out, it was delicious nevertheless.
With our appetizers done, we were more than ready for round two – pizza! Among the pizzas we got to sample;
– Buffalo Mozzarella and San Marzano Tomatoes.
– Grilled Barbecue Chicken and Caramelized Onions.
– King Prawns, Squids, Mussels and Cherry Tomatoes.
Our favorite definitely had to be the seafood pizza solely because we know how difficult it is to cook seafood perfectly in a wood-fire oven when making pizza and Sportsman’s Arms had done it faultlessly, with the seafood being juicy and not at all overcooked.
The best part however of our entire tasting had to be the mains. We got to sample some of the best pub food we’ve had in a very long time. Probably not the healthiest food we’ve devoured, but then again it’s not like we strive for healthy eating.
The mains we had included;
– USDA Black Angus Burger in a Brioche Bun with chips. What we loved about this burger was you can have it cooked to your preference. Since we like ours medium rare, that’s what we went for. It was seasoned well and juicy and the bun was soft and sweet. Probably not the best burger we’ve had but it’s definitely a favorite.
– Shepherd’s Pie with Slow Cooked Minced Lamb and Cheesy Mash. This dish was comfort food at its best. The lamb chili had the perfect flavor of heat, sweetness and spice and mixed up into one perfect dish. This pie will definitely be a hit during the winter season when all you’re looking for is warmth and deliciousness.
– New York Strip with Grilled Tomatoes, Mushroom and Hand Cut Chips. Here again, Sportsman’s Arm did not cheap out when selecting the quality of meat. The steak was melt in your mouth delicious and the chips were perfectly crisp. The portion was enormous too, making it a typical dude food dish.
– Atlantic Cod with Chips, Mushy Peas and Tartare sauce. We loved how Sportsman’s Arms stayed true to the humble fish and chips dish, by only focusing on the quality and cooking technique of the fish. The fish was flaky and tender and had that decent outer crunch to it. The peas were sweet and soft and complemented the fish very well. Definitely a winner dish!
To wrap up our meal, for dessert we tried the sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice cream. The pudding was dense but not too rich or heavy. And the toffee sauce moistened the pudding further, making us lick our plates clean!
Heritage and Beetroot Salad – Dhs55
Wings on Fire with Ranch Dressing – Dhs55
Beef Tartare – Dhs65
Slow and Low Beef Chili – Dhs55
Buffalo Mozzarella and San Marzano Tomatoes – Dhs50
USDA Black Angus Burger – Dhs80
Sheppard’s Pie – Dhs75
New York Strip – Dhs135
Atlantic Cod with Chips – Dhs80
Ambience – 4/5
Service – 3.5/5
Food – 3.5/5
Value – 3.5