Founded in London, Hakkasan is a multi award winning Chinese fine dining restaurant that has been led by Executive Head Chef Tong Chee Hwee ever since its inception. It has become one of the World’s most distinguished global restaurants and in 2011, opened its doors in Dubai.
About Taste of Hakkasan:
Taste of Hakkasan is a seasonal four course menu that serves a selection of individually served small eats, soups, main courses and choice of dessert. The selection includes some of the most premium dishes recommended by the Chef De Cuisine – Chef Andy Toh and is perfect for dinner dates, small gatherings or even social events. The menu is available daily, from 6 pm to 7 30 pm for Dhs 188 per person including one signature cocktail or sommelier’s selection of wine by the glass. If you truly want to relish some delectable signature dishes created at Hakkasan for an affordable price, then look no further than “Taste of Hakkasan”.
Our first course comprised of Soup, of which there are two options (and we opted for both):
• Chef’s Special Soup which comprised of a clear, strong and flavorful broth that tasted absolutely soothing and refreshing.
• Sweet Corn Soup with Edamame which brought about mixed reviews at the table. Although the flavor was spot on and nothing compared to the regular sweet corn soups you have at Chinese restaurants, the consistency of the soup is a bit questionable (we found it a bit too thick).
For our second course which were Starters, we had three options of which we chose;
• Crispy Duck Roll that was served with a sweet Hoisin sauce. The roll wasn’t too greasy yet perfectly crispy, and the flavors reminded us of Peking Duck ( a famous duck dish from Beijing). As for the filled itself, the portion of duck used was generous and beautifully cooked.
• Crispy Duck Salad for an additional cost of Dhs 40 over and above the cost of the entire menu. When we tasted this dish we could see why it cost extra; it was exquisite. Right from the perfectly cooked pink duck, to the crispy skin that aided a beautiful texture, to the flavorsome season and of course the freshness of the greens. This salad could easily be one of the best dishes we’ve had at Hakkasan.
We had four options to chose from for our Mains (each being served with a side of steamed Jasmine Rice), of which we chose :
• Spicy Prawn with Lily Bulb and Almond. We opted for this dish for two reasons – “Spicy” and “Lily Bulb”. We’ve heard a lot about the edible Lily Bulb that is widely cultivated in China and Korea, however never got the opportunity to try it. Although it’s not very strong in flavor, it does have an interesting texture. As for the flavor of the curry, it did taste extremely spicy (and we loved it). Definitely do not recommend this dish for those of you who have mild palettes.
• Osmanthus Wagyu Beef Rib Eye for an additional cost of Dhs 60. The Wagyu Beef is infused with Osmanthus (a fragrant flower used to create scented tea), that makes this dish very aromatic. As for the beef itself, the portion was large and cooked medium rare (just how we like it).
Finally for dessert, we had an option of homemade ice cream, sorbet or the famous Jivara Bomb! Needless to say, we ordered two portions of the Jivara Bomb.
• We don’t know where to begin with the Jivara Bomb. Not only is this dessert elegantly presented, but tasted phenomenal too! The dessert comprised of a ball of smooth creamy ice cream coated with rice crispies and placed on a bed of hazelnut praline and popping candy (Yes, POPPING CANDY!). This dessert not only tasted brilliant but was theatrically pleasing too with thick chocolate sauce being poured over the dessert making you fall in love with it all over again!
Address & Contact Details:
Jumeriah Emirates Towers