A new contemporary Asian inspired restaurant has opened its doors at Sofitel Downtown Dubai for us to explore the taste and traditions of Asia in a stylish and sleek setting.
Who doesn’t love a bit of sass and class when they’re out for drinks or probably indulging in a romantic dinner for two? We aren’t very fond of dimly set lighting, but having said that we feel Wakame definitely managed to create a sophisticated and refined atmosphere. As we stepped into Wakame we were greeted by very friendly staff at the front desk who guided us to our table, so plus points for service.
We started off our dinner with a serving of Spicy Edamame which is stir fried Soy Beans with Chilli, Oyster Sauce and Ginger, and some drinks to go along with it. We then began to glance through the menu and were quiet intrigued. The menu had a diverse selection of Asian dishes that were clustered into categories such as Dim Sums, Small Plates, New Style Sashimi, Salads, Soups, Large Plates, Specialty Maki and Wakame Flame Maki (the word “flame” definitely grabbed our attention) and with great help from our friendly server, we finalized our order for dinner.
From the Small Plates section of the menu, we opted for;
– Lobster Tacos which are tacos stuffed with freshly and perfectly cooked Lobster, Yuzu Guacamole (Yuzu is a citrus fruit from East Asia) and Salsa. The texture and flavor of the tacos were phenomenal. If we had to nitpick we’d say the portions were a bit too small for the price offered, over the flavorsome taste definitely compromises for the portion served.
– Rock Shrimp Tempura which is Crispy Rock Shrimp with Spicy Mayonnaise. A dish that we’d consider tasty, however not extraordinary. The shrimps were fried beautifully giving that crispy texture, and the mayo too had subtle heat which we liked. however, it’s not a dish we’d order again.
– Wagyu Sliders which is hand chopped Wagyu with Truffle Mayonnaise was the third and final dish from the Small Plates section and easily – THE BEST! The burger was juicy as we expected, but cooked perfectly too (we consider Medium Rare perfect). The seasoning used was minimal which is perfect since the flavor of the beef was highlighted. Definitely coming back from these!
From the Salads section of the menu, we opted for;
– Crispy Japanese Eggplant and Burrata with Yuzu Truffle. It’s no surprise that we aren’t big salad eaters; unless of course something stands out for us. We adore Burrata ( a fresh Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream) on its own, but were intrigued to find an Asian twist on this cheese. we were pleasantly surprised with this salad. The combination of eggplant and burrata were phenomenal, with its own unique textures and flavors. definitely a must try if you plan on paying a visit to Wakame.
From the Large Plates section of the menu we opted for;
– Yuzu Miso Black Cod. We loved this dish for two reasons – the perfectly cooked flaky fish and the Japanese flair added by the yuzu miso marinade that complemented the cod perfectly. A very simple dish that is executed brilliantly due to the way it’s cooked. If you have a big appetite though, the portion might be a bit too small for you.
From the Specialty Maki section of the menu, we opted for;
– The Spider which is a Maki roll comprising Crispy Softshell Crab, Tobiko, Avocado, Pickled Kumquat and Diakon. The Kumquat added a subtle tangy punch to the roll (which we loved) and the softshell crab added a beautiful texture.
A specialty at Wakama is the Wakame Flame Maki where the sushi roll is blow torched at the table. It not only amplifies the taste, but also adds a theatrical element to the presentation of the Maki. We opted for;
– Tempura Vegetable Roll with Assorted Vegetable Tempura, Pineapple Salsa, Wasabi, Butternut and Yusu Mayonnaise. Definitely one of our favorites during the entire tasting at Wakame. We loved the combination of wasabi with the pineapple salsa, and the yusu mayonnaise definitely added a nice richness to the Maki roll.
From the Dessert section of the menu we opted for;
– Chocolate Matcha Fondant which is dark chocolate fondant with Matcha and white chocolate centre and tonka bean ice cream. We’ve had our fair share of fondants, however having one filled with matcha white chocolate was a first; and a pleasant experience it was. we weren’t too fond of the ice cream, but it didn’t bother us much since the fondant tasted delicious on its own.
– Miso Caramel Cheesecake which is saikyo miso and caramel cheesecake with black sesame shortbread base and dark chocolate ice cream. The dark chocolate ice cream definitely cut through the richness of the cheesecake, and added depth to the dessert. The saikyo miso which is a golden yellow miso added a nice sweet flavor to the dessert (the sweetness of the misu comes from the sugar produced as a byproduct of the fermentation process).
Location & Contact Details:
3rd Floor – Sofitel Dubai Downtown
Sheikh Zayed Road – Downtown Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971 4 2246663
Spicy Edamame – Dhs 25
Lobster Tacos – Dhs 130
Rock Shrimp Tempura – Dhs 65
Wagyu Sliders – Dhs 75
Crispy Japanese Eggplant and Burrata with Yuzu Truffle – Dhs 70
Yuzu Miso Black Cod – Dhs 185
Spider Maki – Dhs 62
Tempura Vegetable Roll – Dhs 65
Chocolate Matcha Fondant – Dhs 52
Miso Caramel Cheesecake – Dhs 52
Ambience – 3.5/5
Food – 3/5
Service – 3.5/5
Value – 3/5