One of the highlights in our stay at the Waldorf was a very romantic, lavish and chic dinner at UMI – A trendy yet contemporary Japanese restaurant that marries the essence of traditional Japanese cuisine with fine dining perfectly.
The dimly set tone of UMI adds a sense of finesse and sophistication to the aura of the restaurant. Upon entering UMI, we were blown away by the intricate attention to each and every element utilized in designing of the restaurant. Right from the furnishing to the dark tones of the restaurant, UMI is ideal for a romantic dinner for two or probably an intimate family gathering.
– We started off with Wagyu Foie Gras Kuwayaki which is thinly sliced wagyu beef rolls with Foie Gras, Teriyaki and Sesame Seeds. Apart from the fact that this dish was a bit too greasy, we loved the flavors of it! The combination of Wagyu and Foie Gras was perfect and we loved how both the elements were cooked perfectly and melted in our mouths.
– We also opted for Tori Shumai which are steamed chicken dumplings with mustard miso and truffle ponzu. Loved the presentation of individual bamboo baskets for each Shumai. As for the dumplings, it was light, perfectly cooked and the mustard miso tasted beautiful with it.
– We then opted for Tokyo Shoyu Ramen which is a soup filled with egg noodles, soy sauce flavored broth, sliced chicken and vegetables. The broth was rich is flavor with a strong essence of soy sauce. As for the rest of the elements in this soup, it all worked very well together and perfect if you’re looking for something light.
– For our mains we tried the Spicy Yaki Taraba Gani which is King Crab with Spicy Tobiko Sauce and Wasabi Pilaf. The crab absolutely blew our minds away! Perfectly cooked and generous in size, we are definitely coming back for this dish!
– We also tried the Chicken Teriyaki cooked in teriyaki seven spices sauce, sesame seeds and grilled vegetables. The base of the teriyaki sauce was perfectly sweet and complemented the chicken well. It’s probably not one of the best teriyaki dishes we’ve had, nevertheless it was delicious!
– We savored the Spider Roll comprising of fried soft shell crab, tomato and mango chilli sauce. It was beautifully presented and the soft shell crab melts in your mouth instantly. We loved the subtle sweetness of the Mango Chilli sauce too.
– For dessert we tried the Lychee Mousse with Mandarin Jelly, Honey and Jasmine Tea Foam. Loved the presentation of this dish however it didn’t impress us in terms of flavor. The combination of lychee and mandarin didn’t work for us.
– We loved the Milk Chocolate and Japanese Whiskey Mousse with Brownies in a Dark Chocolate Sphere and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream on the side. Not only was the presentation outstanding, but the taste was phenomenal too. The flavor of whiskey isn’t too strong in the mousse, and cuts through the sweetness of the brownies as well. Perfect end to our meal!
Address & Location:
Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Tel: 00971 7 2035555
Wagyu Foie Gras Kuwayaki – Dhs 90
Tori Shumai – Dhs 50
Tokyo Shoyu Ramen – Dhs 70
Spicy Yaki Taraba Gani – Dhs 220
Chicken Teriyaki – Dhs 120
Spider Roll – Dhs 70
Lychee Mousse – Dhs 55
Chocolate Whiskey Mousse – Dhs 60