Dubai can sometimes be a bit too overwhelming and chaotic for us, especially when we’ve been tremendously busy over the week. In such circumstances, we flee to cities that are far more tranquil, soothing and peaceful. Which brings us to the latest chapter of #WhereMyGetaway at – A much needed stay at the Waldorf Astoria, Ras Al Khaimah. The opulence and refinement projected by Waldorf Astoria’s group of hotels is something we are deeply in awe of, and needless to say we still reminisce the beauty of the hotel and don’t think we’ll ever stop.
About Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts:
Part of Hilton Worldwide, Waldorf Astoria Hotels and Resorts is a global luxury brand that locates over 25 landmark destination properties (of which two are located in UAE) in the world’s most sought after locations. Also, these hotels and resorts reflect the history and heritage of their extraordinary locations.
About Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah:
Surrounded by the desert, mountains and sea, Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah proves to be the ultimate hotel destination that is perfect for adventure or relaxation. Set in a charming beach-front location and inspired by the palaces of the Arabian Peninsula, this grand palace features 346 palatial guest rooms and suites.
Since there are no metros or trams nearby, the only feasible and economical way to get to the hotel is by Private or Public Taxis. Also, the drive is only 50 minutes away from the Dubai International Airport.
Waldorf Astoria is surrounded by the Hajar Mountains, a championship golf course, white sandy beaches and the azure waters of the Arabian Sea.
– Nearby Tourist Attractions include: Ras Al Khaimah National Musuem, Dhayah Fort, Ras Al Khaimah Pearl Museum, Khatt Springs, Hajar Mountains and Saqr Park
– Convenient Stores Include: Nearby pharmacies like Moon Two Pharmacy and Al Hamra Pharmacy, Nearby Banks include Dubai Islamic Bank and Rakbank ATM, Nearby exchanges include Al Ansari Exchange and UAE Exchange Centre.
From the moment we stepped foot into the lobby of Waldorf Astoria we were blown away by the beauty and decor that is inspired by the rich heritage, ancient history and culture of the UAE. The lobby’s design and palette are derived from century old practices of pearl diving.
– Right at the center of the lobby lies an iconic clock based upon the ancient astrolabe (The astrolabe is a very ancient astronomical computer for solving problems relating to time and the position of the Sun and stars in the sky). The clock is adorned with turquoise glass accents and has a phrase from a Bedouin poem engraved at the bottom which reads “From your homeland travel abroad to find glory).
PS: Each and every Waldorf Hotel has an “iconic clock” as one of its signature attributes. The one at Ras Al Khaimah costs a staggering 1.5 Million dirhams!
– We also admired the Framed Wall Panels located behind the reception desks that represent the colors of the sea. These frames have been painstakingly hand-stitched with sequins in a flowing wave pattern and covered in turquoise silk.
– Right next to the lobby lies the “Peacock Alley”, another signature feature that is evident in all Waldorf Hotels. A giant marble fountain elegantly adorns the center of peacock alley with banquettes encompassing it. Over the fountain, lies a spectacular chandelier with handcrafted glass elements inspired by peacock feathers.
PS: We were told that the banquettes were placed relatively close to the fountains in order to dilute the noise made by conversations at the banquettes.
We’ve been to a fair share of hotels in UAE and abroad, and have come across some magnificent lobbies too; but nothing compares to this. It amazes us how each and every element in the lobby is carefully and strategically placed, not only adding beauty but a depth of meaning too.
Lunch at Azure:
Once we were done with our tour of the hotel, we heading to Azure – a poolside restaurant at the Waldorf for lunch. Click here to read about our entire review on Azure.
We stayed at the “King Junior Suite with Sea View and Balcony” for a day and honestly, we didn’t want to leave. The suite was spacious and made us feel like royalty. Below are a few things we absolutely loved about our room:
– The subtle and warm tones of the room with hints of turquoise that presented a very soothing and calming effect.
– The private balcony with a gorgeous view of the property and sea offers the luxuries of tranquility and peace. We could spend the entire day lounging at the balcony while sipping on some tea and gazing into the Arabian Sea.
– The luxurious King Bed made waking up in the morning so much harder. Also, make sure to try the Sleep Master service provided by Waldorf Astoria which is god sent! It’s basically a service where you can experience the Ultimate Pillow Menu. Organic and natural pillows of heated cherry stones, buckwheat or the coziest feather pillows are just part of the extensive menu available to ensure the most enchanting sleep.
– An Oversized Separate Dressing Room is just what you need when you want to feel like royalty for a day.
– The black marble bathroom with a soaking tub and a separate rain shower with hints of gold. Not to forget the luxurious touch added by Salvatore Ferragamo toiletries. Also, if you want to enjoy a true Waldorf sensory experience, you can allow the “Bath Master” to draw your bath for you.
Facilities offered in the room include : two 42 inch LCD HDTV, I Docking Station, Coffee Machine & Tea and Coffee Making Facilities, Minibar, Complementary Bottles of Water, Robes, Slippers, Salvatore Ferragamo Toiletries, Wireless Internet Access, Two Line Speaking Phone, Air Conditioning, Hair Dryer (a staple when we stay at hotel rooms).
From the moment we stepped foot into the suite we were in awe of the serene and soothing sight of the sea. Not only does the tranquility of the Arabian Sea sooth your senses, but captivates your entire body making you numb and appreciative of the purest beauty nature has to offer. However, it’s not just the beauty of the waters that aids to the scenic view. The expansive and gorgeously set layout of the Waldorf property is perfectly admirable on its own, making you want to wake up to the same view forever!
Afternoon Tea Room Service:
We were pleasantly surprised when a large trolley rolled up our suite with a delectable selection of two afternoon teas – the English Afternoon Tea & (believe it or not) Chocolate Afternoon Tea! It was definitely one of the best, most delicious and generously filled afternoon teas we’ve had in a long time! We thoroughly enjoyed each and every element that was presented to us in these two stands that we (surprisingly) managed to devour without any difficulty. Of course, relishing these delicacies while gazing at the gorgeous view is a moment we’ll treasure for the rest of our lives.
Sport & Leisure:
Other than the room itself, if there’s one thing we look forward to during our stay, it’s the pool and spas.
The Pool: The hotel comprises of two pools – a lounging pool that is accessible to adults and kids and the lap pool that is strictly for adults only. To burn off a few calories we consumed at the Afternoon Tea we heading out the lap pool was a quick swim. Loved the view of the beach as we swam along and the cabanas too were perfect for lounging.
The Gym: The gymnasium features an extensive range of Technogym equipment and flood-lit tennis courts. The personal trainer is on hand for those guests wanting the ultimate in fitness levels or to commence a new training programme for the very first time. Also, the large glass doors overlooking the beach are perfect when you’re working up a sweat.
The Spa: During our tour of the spa, we noticed an “Undersea” theme that runs through it with calming blue hues and ceiling lights inspired by bubbles creating a sensation of looking upward from underwater! The spa’s setting was vigilantly selected to be close to the sound, the sight and the smell of the sea. The main pride of the Waldorf Astoria Spa is the VIP treatment room where couples can enjoy the peace and tranquility of togetherness in a lavishly set room.
Private Beach: Another perk of staying at the Waldorf Astoria is the spacious and soothing private beach accessible only to Waldorf Astoria’s guests. We highly recommend trying the water sports activities or simple gazing at the sunset while sipping on tender coconut water! Absolute bliss!
Dinner at UMI:
After a relaxing and rejuvenating time at the beach, we then headed for dinner to UMI – a fine dining Japanese restaurant for dinner. Click here to read more about our review on UMI.
Breakfast at Qasr Al Bahar:
Before we could bid farewell to Waldorf Astoria, we spent our last few hours at Qasr Al Bahar for breakfast. The restaurant is a beautiful, light filled semi circle restaurant dedicated to indoor and outdoor breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Breakfast Buffet at Qasr Al Bahar was absolutely buzzing and did not disappoint us! We thoroughly enjoyed the live cooking stations where we ordered freshly prepared Eggs Benedict and an Omelet. The is also a Healthy Section of the buffet serving freshly cut fruits, fresh juices and smoothies and on the other hand, there’s also a pancake and waffle section accompanied with Nutella, Maple Sauce and Chocolate Sauce.
When a guest stays at a hotel and despises the thought of leaving, that’s when you know the hotel has done its job. Leaving Waldorf Astoria was absolutely devastating, to say the least! If you love pampering yourself or your loved ones and looking for a hotel that serves the purpose of relaxation and adventure, the there’s honestly no place like the Waldorf Astoria, Ras Al Khaimah!
Romantic Getaways & Family Getaways.
One night at the King Junior Suite with Sea View and Balcony – Dhs 2,500 approx (inclusive of taxes)
Lunch at Azure – Dhs 385
Afternoon Tea – Dhs 120 each
Dinner at UMI – Dhs 735
Address & Contact Details:
Ras al Khaimah, UAE
Tel: +971 7 2035555