It’s been a while since we’ve engaged in a little DIY action, and to be honest, eating out everyday has made us miss the simple pleasures of cooking and baking at home. What better way to rekindle our love for baking than with a sinfully delicious Sticky Banana Cake. Yummers!
The ingredients required are very basic and we’re pretty sure most of them are already in your pantry.
For the cake batter:
– 6 medium sized ripe bananas
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 cup oil
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
– 2 cups flour
For the Toffee sauce:
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1 cup brown sugar
– Begin by smashing 4 bananas with a fork (or easier, your hands) until it becomes a puree. We didn’t smash our bananas completely since we wanted chunks of banana in our cake, however if you don’t fancy chunks, make sure your puree is smooth without lumps.
– Add the eggs, oil, sugar and cinnamon to the banana puree and stir. The mixture will appear to be slightly runny at this stage.
– At this point, gradually add the flour making sure it’s completely incorporated into the mixture and mix well with a spatula for a good 3-4 minutes.
– Cut the remaining two bananas into small slices and keep aside for later.
– Moving on to our toffee sauce (its super easy), place the butter and sugar in a saucepan and bright it to a medium heat. Keep stirring after 30 second intervals making sure the sugar doesn’t burn at the bottom of the pan.
– Once the toffee sauce has slightly thickened (it should coat the bottom of a wooden spoon), pour the sauce into a square baking dish.
– Next, gently line the chopped up bananas over the toffee sauce and then pour the cake batter over the toffee and sliced bananas.
– Place the baking tin in a preheated oven at 175 C for 45 – 50 minutes. Once the cake is cooked, leave it to cool and then serve it with Vanilla ice cream and Nutella if you’re shamelessly indulgent like us!
Voila! Your cake is ready 🙂