During our recent getaway we headed to the iconic Movenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate to experience the impeccable hospitality that the Movenpick Hotels and Resorts group is known for. Our first ever review on our WhereMyGetawayAt portal was by the same group itself, and we couldn’t wait to see if the hotel at Ibn Battuta Gate lives up to its reputation.
About Movenpick Hotels & Resorts:
Movenpick Hotels & Resorts is an international hotel management company, that represents its quality service and hospitality in 24 countries with 83 hotels worldwide. They specialize in business and conference hotels, as well as holiday resorts, all reflecting a sense of place and respect for their local communities. In UAE alone, the group hosts six hotels, of which all are nestled in Dubai.
About Movenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate:
The hotel draws inspiration from the intrepid 14th Century explorer, Ibn Battuta, who travelled the world from Africa and Europe to Arabia and the Far East. The hotel is a reflection and inspiration of Ibn Battuta’s journey. Although the hotel is beautifully furnished and influenced by the colors of Morocco and portrays elegant cultural influences, it also highlights the best of modern luxury as well.
– Via Taxi: You could use the Public Transport Taxi that are lined up at the airport (the hotel is approximately 30 minutes away from Dubai International Airport and 15 minutes away from Dubai World Central – Al Maktoum International Airport). The cost would come up to Dhs 120 approximately. The most convenient option however is by using the transportation facilities provided by Movenpick itself to and from Dubai airports in luxury cars. (to know more you can contact the concierge team from the contact details mentioned below).
– Via Metro: This alternative is a cheaper however a much more delayed one. The airport has its own Metro Stations (Terminal 1 & Terminal 3), which will eventually lead you to Ibn Battuta Metro Station.
For both leisure visitors and corporate travelers, the hotel’s location provides easy access to the best of Dubai.
– Nearby tourist attractions include: Located conveniently within new Dubai, Movenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate is close to the city’s commercial hubs like Dubai Media City, Internet City, Knowledge Village, Jebal Ali Free Zone, Jumeirah Lakes Towers and the Expo 2020 site. The hotel is also situated opposite Ibn Battuta Mall, which is just a short walk from the hotel.
– Convenient Stores Include: Nearby banks and money exchange (Dubai Islamic Bank, Emirates NBD, Al Ansari Exchange), Supermarket (Geant Supermarket at Ibn Battuta mall), Pharmacies (Boots, Super Care Pharmacy etc).
As we stepped into the hotel, the 90m x 30m Grand Hall and its 88 large size eastern style lanterns offer a stunning and remarkable welcome. Our attendant at the reception was extremely friendly and prompt with the check in procedures and welcomed us very gracefully into the hotel.
The Battuta suites are themed to reflect 9 of the countries Ibn Battuta travelled through( namely Andalucía, China, Egypt, India, Morocco, Persia, Russia, Siam and Zanzibar).
Our stay was at the spacious Executive Suite that protruded a very elegant and contemporary vibe. The suite comprised of a living room, a bedroom and three luxurious bathrooms that include a bathtub and an eco friendly walk in shower. The executive suite also offers access to the Executive Lounge with complementary breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktails.
Features of the Executive Suite:
– the suite offers 55-70m sqm of living space making it a very comfortable and relaxing stay.
– two 40 inch HD LCD TVs in the bedroom as well as the living room.
– a seating area, a writing desk, a minibar and air conditioning.
– complementary high speed internet and return transfers to and from Dubai airports.
Fitness Facilities & Private Beach Club:
The hotel features a fully equipped gym and health club, complete with a 30 meter rooftop pool on the 8th floor. You can also take advantage of a large variety of fitness and leisure facilities by availing complementary shuttle transfers to Oceana Beach Club on Palm Jumeirah. The club comprises of a breathtaking 500m stretch of private beach, an infinity swimming pool and a lazy river.
Lunch at Sicilia:
During our stay at Movenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate we happened to step into Sicilia for lunch. Known for its rustic and simple home style Italian cooking with a Sicilian edge, Sicilia is one of the restaurants that we truly consider a “hidden gem”. Although Sicilia is a humble family style restaurant, the cooking techniques and ingredients used are exquisite.
We started off with our starters of “Tropea Onion Confit with Aged Goats Cheese, Pear and Pistachio” which is confit red onion filled with aged goat cheese, poached pear, pear jus and pistachio cream. This dish absolutely blew our minds away. We feared the goats cheese might be too overpowering, but we were so wrong. The pears were perfectly soft and drenched in that aromatic jus which we loved. The pistachio cream balanced the flavors perfectly as well.
We also tried the “Risotto Acquerello, Veal Cheeks and Cafe Foam”. The highlight of the dish had to be the beautifully cooked honey glazed braised beef cheeks that were extremely tender and tasted absolutely delicious. The cappuccino foam unexpectedly went well with the parmigiano reggiano and the risotto itself was cooked perfectly al dente.
For our mains, we ordered the Sous Vide and Torched Scottish Salmon which is basically slow cooked salmon with beetroot, beetroot power, crème fraiche and capers, spicy quinoa salad and avocado mousse. Calling this dish a work of art would be an understatement. This dish was literally too beautiful to indulge into. But once we tucked into this dish, the flavors were extraordinary. Needless to say, the salmon was perfectly flaky, however it was the components around the salmon that helped make this dish shine. The avocado mousse tasted unbelievably good, more like a refined version of a guacamole. The quinoa salad had strong flavors but didn’t overpower the rest of the dish.
For our second main, we tried the Spicy Red Label Chicken which comprised of herb roasted leg and chicken breast stuffed with smoked ricotta, sun dried tomato, pumpkin from Mantova, spicy crumble and spicy chicken jus. No surprises here, we loved everything about this dish as well. The chicken was extremely juicy, the crumble added a beautiful texture and the spicy chicken jus elevated the dish to a whole other level.
Finally for dessert, we decided to stick to the classics and order the humble Tiramisu with mascarpone cream, savoiardi cookies, coffee and cocoa powder. The tiramisu was probably not the best tiramisu we’ve had but it was tasty nevertheless. We were a bit disappointed with the presentation since we were expecting something theatrical and dramatic like the previous dishes we’ve had.
Confit Red Onion – Dhs 59
Risotto with Veal Cheeks – Dhs 95
Sous Vide Salmon – Dhs 155
Spicy Red Label Chicken – Dhs 145
Tiramisu – Dhs 40
Breakfast at Misral:
We concluded our stay with an indulgent and delicious breakfast spread served at Misral, an international restaurant that serves an exciting array of cuisines for breakfast. The spread was enormous and the staff were extremely efficient, ensuring all the guests are comfortable and attending to their every requirement.
Romantic getaways and corporate stays
The room rates mentioned below aren’t definite, but based on peak seasons and availability.
1 x Executive Suite with Breakfast – AED 1500 approx
Address and Contact Details:
Adjacent to Ibn Battuta Shopping Mall
PO Box – 211508
Tel: 04 4440000